Best Jigsaw for Completing Your Projects
Article Last Updated: Sunday, January 20th 2019
Whether you are a person who loves to do DIY projects or someone who earns a living doing handyman jobs, the best jigsaw must be part of your toolbox. A good jigsaw is a versatile and powerful cutting tool that has been compared to other mechanical saws like a scroll saw, bayonet saw, and saber saw. It is made up of an electrically powered motor and requires a reciprocating blade. Some models have sole plates that are equipped with a bevel function that will allow you to cut objects at an angle as high as 45 degrees.
As similar to any other products, the jigsaw is not what it is today without the help of innovation and the creativity of the people in the past. This tool actually came into being in 1946 when Albert Kaufmann, an engineer from a Switzerland-based company called Scintilla AG, decided to replace the sewing machine needle of his wife with a blade. A year after, he developed the first ever jigsaw and was mass produced by the company and was called Lesto Jigsaw. In 1954 Bosch acquired Scintilla AG, and 10 years later, the term Lesto was changed into Bosch.
Top Rated Jigsaw in 2019
Then, in 1966, a pendulum system was added to the jigsaw’s blade movement. A few years after, particularly in 1989, the so-called tool-free blade replacement device was added. To date, the jigsaw tool and blade already come in different types.
Jigsaw Tool and Blade Classification
Knowing the type of jigsaw and blade to use in accomplishing your projects is important so that you can pick the one that works best for your needs.
Best Jigsaw Tools:
When it comes to the kind of jigsaw tools, it is categorized based on the source of its power. The corded type is the one that requires an electrical outlet while the cordless models are those that are powered by a rechargeable battery. It can also be categorized based on blade fittings, wherein in the older type, the blade is held by a screw whereas, in the newer version, the blade is simply placed in a slot.
Types of Blade:
Knowing the type of blade that you will use in your jigsaw tool is important as it can affect your work tremendously. The material that will be cut might be damaged, the cutting speed of your tool might be varied, and the finished look of the cut item might not be the right one. As such, when it comes to classifying a jigsaw blade, that will be based on the type of shank, the number of teeth present or TPI (teeth per inch), and the material used in producing it.
- Shank Type – Most of the newest models of jigsaw tools will be compatible with T-shaped shank blades. These are the ones that are equipped with a tang on top of the shank that effortlessly fits into the tool-less blade clamp. On the other hand, the universal shank blades have cut edges that has the “U” shape, and are more suited for older versions of jigsaw tools.
- Number of Teeth – As per TPI, the general rule is that those that have lesser teeth will have fast cutting and are suited for smooth surfaces. Hence, those that have more teeth are for hard materials and will cut slower.
- Material – With regards to the material used, the most affordable and flexible, but dulls easily, are those that are made of high-carbon steel. On the other hand, high-speed steel jigsaw blades are more durable than the former but is less flexible and is sensitive to heat. To resolve the problems of flexibility and wearing, the two materials have been combined to create the so-called bi-metal blades. The last type, which is the tungsten carbide is considered to be the most durable and resistant to heat. In fact, blades made out of it can be used for cutting steel, fiberglass, and ceramic.Now that you are already knowledgeable about the basics of the jigsaw and its blade, we bet you are already excited to start scouting for one. Sadly, you might be overwhelmed since there are already a lot of models and brands. Hence, we have decided to review four products that we think might be suited for your toolset.
Best Jigsaw: Our Top Choice – DEWALT
The jigsaws that we have chosen to review below are the ones that have been produced by some of the companies that have a good name in the industry. They are also those that have been around for several years as well as specialize in producing different types of power tools and accessories. For each product, we have mentioned its essential features and the pros and cons of owning it.
Top Rated Jigsaw – DEWALT DCS331B 20-Volt Cordless
As the name implies, the DEWALT DCS331B 20-Volt Jigsaw is a tool that is powered by a 20 Volt NiCad battery. It has the characteristic DEWALT color which is black and yellow. This tool has a size dimension of 11.2 x 11 x 3.9 inches and weight of less than 10 pounds. It is equipped with an ergonomically designed and anti-slip handle that is located on top of the tool. Likewise, the manufacturer also incorporated a keyless shoe bevel that is made of metal and can be adjusted at different angles ranging from zero to 45 degrees.
This product is also integrated with a blower that is adjustable and an orbital-action switch that can be changed in four different positions. In addition, a keyless lever-action blade clamp that is made of metal is also present as well as a blade stroke that has a length of one inch. Functionality-wise, it can cut thicker wood, laminate, plastic, and metal objects in a straight or curved manner. When it comes to speed, it can work between zero and 3,000 strokes per minute.
What is more interesting is that the manufacturer of DEWALT DCS331B offers three years of warranty and 90-day money back guarantee offer as well 12 months of contracted complementary service.
- The blade can be changed easily and quickly.
- When using this tool, achieving a bevel cut is effortless.
- Comfortable, portable, and lightweight
- Speed and cut quality are easy to control
- The cutting line is free from distractions as the blower keeps it free from chips and dust.
- Versatile cutting techniques
- This product comes with a detailed instruction manual.
- Risk-free purchase
- No charger, storage box, and batteries are included
- The product is only compatible with the DC9096 XRP battery pack, DW9117 charger, and T shank blade.
Black & Decker BDEJS300C 4.5amp Jig Saw
This jigsaw that comes in a combination of color orange and black has a size dimension of 11.5 x 3.4 x 9.2 inches, an approximate weight of 4.32 pounds, and a stroke length of 3/4 inches. It is equipped with the latest and better version of the company’s Wire Guard Sightline channel. That feature plus the integrated dust blower are responsible for providing cut line visibility. In addition, a compact and sturdy handle, a clamp, and a shoe that is adjustable are also present.
Functionality-wise, this product requires a voltage of 110. It can be utilized to cut through wood, metal, and plastic up to a maximum speed of 3,000 strokes per minute (SPM). Angulated cuts up to 45 degrees can also be made with the help of its base plate. Upon purchase, you will enjoy a limited warranty for two years.
- It provides better visibility of the cutting line.
- This product can make straight and beveled cuts.
- With this tool, you can cut items quickly.
- This tool is lightweight making it easy and comfortable to use
- There is less vibration when used.
- It assures stable and accurate cutting.
- Changing the blade does not require any tools
- There is the absence of sawdust while working.
- Versatile cutting techniques
- It is compatible with T and universal shank blades.
- It sold without a storage box.
Bosch JS572EK Top-Handle Jig Saw
This 9.2 x 4 x 8.5-inch and five-pound cutting tool comes in a color combination of blue and black. It works at a voltage of 120 and has 7.2 Amp motor. It is equipped with a control dial to adjust the speed as well as an accelerator trigger and multi-directional blade clamp. In addition, a Precision Control II double-roller system has also been incorporated. This is responsible for minimizing the deflection of the saw blade. This tool is also integrated with a large footplate that is made of a die-cast aluminum material and a high-end counterbalancing mechanism system.
A LED light and a dust blower are also present in this product. This tool can make straight, curvy, and scallop cuts on wood, aluminum, and steel materials as well as bevel cuts of up to 45 degrees. When you purchase this product, you will get an aluminum gearbox that comes with an insulated cover, three pieces of various jigsaw blades, an anti-splinter insert, and a plastic shoe. You will also get 12 months of warranty and service protection plan as well as a one-month money-back guarantee offer.
- There is minimal blade deflection that helps achieve precise cuts.
- The tool’s bevel angle can be altered quickly without the help of tools.
- There is low vibration when the product is used.
- A steady and controlled speed level is achieved when the tool is loaded.
- The circuitry of the product responds constantly.
- Powerful, lightweight, and compact
- Comfortable and steady grip
- The blade can be changed without the help of any tools.
- This device can be used for light and heavy-duty works.
- It can cut through a variety of materials.
- Quick and safe insertion and ejection of the blade
- Risk-free purchase
- Comes with a set of accessories
- Easy to store and carry around
- It is only compatible with T shank blades.
SKIL 4295-01 4.5 Amp Speed Jigsaw
This red-colored cutting tool weighs about 4.1 pounds and measures 10.2 x 3.5 x 8.8 inches. It has a cord length of six feet and a stroke length of 0.75. This works at a voltage of 120 and can be used at different bevel angle ranging from 22.5° to 45° for both left and right sides. It has a speed trigger and an adjustment control that can be operated using two fingers. Also, it has a built-in blade storage, a dust blower, a tool-less blade changing system, and a foot that is made of steel and has an open foot design.
- This product provides you with a clear view of the cutting line.
- Switching blades while handling a project can be done effortlessly.
- This power tool is easy and comfortable to use.
- Lightweight and compact
- This product accepts both T and U shank blades.
- Absence of sawdust while working
- Adjusting the speed is not much of a hassle
- It can cut wood that has a size ranging from three to four inches.
- Produces angled and straight cuts smoothly
- Comes with one complementary blade
- It does not come with any sort of carrying case.
The four jigsaws we reviewed above are all equipped with the basic features that you will need to accomplish your DIY or handyman projects. They all give you a better cutting experience because you no longer have to worry about cleaning the dust that is produced by the material that you cut each and every time. They are also all safe and comfortable to use since they have handles that are located on top and triggers that are located near the fingertips. You can also create several types of cut on different materials.
Nonetheless, although every jigsaw is good in its own way, they have specific unique features that can set them apart from each other. With that said, if you are an individual who wants a jigsaw that you can use in places with or without a power source, then, the cordless tool from DEWALT will be your best companion. This is also recommended if you are a beginner.
On the other hand, if you just need a tool for small home tasks, then you can opt for either the one from SKIL or Black & Decker as they have mid-power motors. If you are torn between the two, the one from Black & Decker will be a good choice if you need blade versatility. On the contrary, if you are a person who contracts handy jobs, then we consider the one from Bosch as the best jigsaw for you because it is the most powerful amongst the four and comes with accessories and a carrying box.
Table of Contents
- 1 Jigsaw Tool and Blade Classification
- 2 Best Jigsaw: Our Top Choice – DEWALT
- 3 Top Rated Jigsaw – DEWALT DCS331B 20-Volt Cordless
- 4 Black & Decker BDEJS300C 4.5amp Jig Saw
- 5 Bosch JS572EK Top-Handle Jig Saw
- 6 SKIL 4295-01 4.5 Amp Speed Jigsaw
- 7 The Verdict