Best Miter Saw Reviews in 2018: Check Out These Top Miter Saws [Sliding,Dual and Single Bevel]
Article Last Updated: Sunday, November 18th 2018
This article incorporates the top miter saws on the market in 2018 and will help you determine which model is best for your projects.
We have not included the Festool Kapex 120 due to its price point but if you are interested, and have a bigger budget, it is a truly impressive machine.
1. Bosch GCM12SD DB Glide [Best Sliding Miter Saw in 2018]
The moment we hear the name Bosch, we look up. Why? Because Bosch has generally become a synonym in many industries for quality products. Made in the USA we certainly think that the Bosch GCM12SD DB Glide is a reflection of this quality and makes a tough case for best miter saw.
Bosch GCM12SD Pros
- The lack of gear clash makes this machine quiet when compared to others
- Two safety switches ensure that you can stop the machine anytime
- Equipped with an exclusive axial-glide system
- Cuts up to 14 inches horizontally and 6 ½ inches vertically
- Equipped with stainless steel scales and easy-to-read bevel
Bosch GCM12SD Cons
- It is quite heavy if you are planning to use it from different sites
Even though the Bosch GCM12SD DB Glide Miter Saw is relatively expensive, it certainly makes up for this in the features that it delivers. It runs quietly and it is easy to repair. We like the fact that this product comes with two safety switches from both the left and right that can allow you to stop the machine anytime.
We looked at a few other products in the market that can compare to the Bosch GCM12SD DB Glide Miter Saw and we found the DEWALT DWS779 Sliding Compound Miter Saw which is slightly cheaper. It is driven by a 15 Amp motor but delivers relatively slow speeds of 3800 revolutions per minute.
We have great respect for products made by Bosch because this is a manufacturer that has proved itself over the years. This is why we have dubbed this saw the best sliding compound miter saw in 2018. Even though this product is not necessarily a cheaply priced saw under 200, it is one we can recommend especially for someone who is serious about the kind of work they are doing.
2. Hitachi C10FCE2 [Best Single Bevel Miter Saw for Value]
For the price, this saw is easily considered one of the best miter saws for value.
The flexible miter angles provide versatility to its various users. Trim carpenters, framers and woodworkers will enjoy the accuracy the Hitachi C10FCE2 offers. Smaller circular saws cannot offer the same reliability as this Hitachi miter saw.
This saw cutter is strong and durable. It features:
· 15-amp motor that propels the blade as fast as 500 rpm
· 0-52° miter angle range
· 0-42° bevel range
· This miter saw has an automatic anti-kickback function. This ensures the startups are quiet and it reduces the vibrations.
· The strong motor gives the miter saw the power it needs to cut through most materials with ease. You can cut with precision.
· The power of the miter saw allows you to easily cut a 4×4 at a 90° angle. This applies to wood materials and aluminum slashes.
· This product weighs 26.3 lbs. The lightweight factor ensures the product is easily portable.
· There is an elastomer horizontal grip so you can comfortably hold the saw; you still have full control of the saw. The elastomer grip reduces the vibration caused when the miter saw is in use. This contributes to you having smooth and precise cuts and is one of the top reasons it makes our "best miter saw" list.
· With the elastomer horizontal grip, you don’t need to hold the materials while you work; you need to only hold the handle and the saw will control the motion of the materials.
· The thumb-actuated positive stops allow you to easily and quickly change the miter angles.
· Your workstation will be neat when you use this product. A dust collector is attached to the saw; any debris resulting from the use of the product will be captured by the dust collector, and this will help with easy clean up.
· You’ve easy access to the carbon brush. This allows for easy replacement of the bush, which will contribute to its longevity and durability.
· With this product, you’ve the option of acquiring optional accessories such as the Hitachi blades: 115166, 725206, 310878, or 18108.
(These are additional blade models that have different serrated edges. The optional edges will give greater versatility in cutting the various materials.)
C10FCE2 Accessories Included:
· Ready to use out of the box, there is no need for adjusting
· For small DIY projects, you don’t need to attach the saw onto a bench
· All the miter stops are precise and accurate
· Powerful motor allows you to cut through thick boards with ease
· Some components are loose, for instance bolts
· Takes a long time for the blade to get to a full speed
· The dust collector doesn’t collect all the particles
· You may need to recheck and reset the squareness of the fence
· Missing the laser guide feature that the Hitachi C10FCH2 has
This is a great choice for value. You’re guaranteed a smooth finish with little to no sanding. This miter saw is ready to use when you take it out of the box with no adjustments required.
3. DEWALT DW715 [Best Single Bevel Miter Saw]
The designers of the Dewalt DW715 Single-Bevel Compound Miter Saw were working from a brief that asked them to create a product that could encompass the phrases smart, quick and powerful.
· There are 11 miter stops. These stops ensure there is increased productivity and precision when you use the saw
· One feature of this miter saw is the “Miter detent override.” With this you can override the miter stops and adjust to another miter setting. When you change the settings, the saw will not slip into other miter detents
· This product can cut through almost any thickness easily and accurately. There are three variables which contribute to the high performance:
- 115-amp motor
- 20-48°left bevel angle
- 3A 3° right bevel angle with a positive stop at 0°, 45° and 33.9°
· The three positive stops are useful in cutting crown molding. The cam lock miter handle keeps the angle in place.
· The powerful 15-amp motor gives the product a speed of 4,000 rpm. There is no load speed. The speed allows you to frame, mold and crosscut in a short amount of time. With this speed, you can easily cut through hard materials and each time you’re left with smooth finished edges
· There is a built-in fence. The fence is at your disposal for added support and accuracy. The tall fence supports 5 1/4’’ crown molding and a 6 1/2’’ base molding. The fence slides easily out of the way when you’re ready to make bevel cuts
· The carbide blade is strong; it cuts through wood with ease, even at a single angle
· The DEWALT miter saw model weighs 42 lbs. The lightweight factor and built-in carry handle provide convenient portability. You can lift it easily for storage
· The light weight factor makes it ideal for workers traveling to sites to complete jobs.
· There are two additional accessories you can also purchase with this product. It includes a circular saw blade assortment, and a fine-finish blade saw. These two blades increase the versatility of the miter saw.
· In addition to the two blades, you can also acquire a saw stand. This stand is produced by the same manufacturers as the miter saw. The stand is a silver metallic color. This stand will carry most of the materials you want to work with.
DW715 Miter Saw Pros
· The detents provide solid and accurate cuts
· You have a high level of control
· User friendly - even for amateurs
· Powerful motor to make continuous cuts
DW715 Miter Saw Cons
· Too much saw dust is created
· The newer version doesn’t have laser attachments
· The type 3 model is not compatible with the LED work light system
· There is no steel tube extension
We looked at a few other products in the market with the aim of doing a comparison and we found the Hitachi C10FCH2 Single Bevel Compound Miter Saw at a much cheaper price that the Dewalt DW715. They both are single bevel compound. Both the WEN 70716 and Skil 3317 also offer affordable alternatives. That said, the DW715 seems like a steal when compared to the latest DW717 model released by Dewalt.
You can also check out the Dewalt DWS780 Double Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw. This one would be the alternative for someone looking to do double bevels without the need to keep shifting the workpiece. Most woodworkers consider the DWS780 the best miter saw but it is typically triple the cost. You also get a 90-day money back guarantee.
The 11 miter stops ensure you cut materials accurately. This miter saw doesn’t have the laser guide which is useful for amateurs, however it’s completely user friendly.
We love the features of the Dewalt DW715 Single-Bevel Compound Miter Saw enough for us to recommend it to anyone who wants to buy it.
4. DEWALT DWS709 [Sliding Miter Saw Review]
The powerful motor ensures the blades cut through thick materials with ease, and you can cut most shapes in one continuous motion.
This model also allows you to easily recalibrate the angle guide. Simply loosen the four star bolts and adjust the stainless steel detent gauge.
· The dual horizontal railings with linear ball bearings contribute to the machine cutting accurately.
· The qualities which provide the precision include:
o 3800 rpm motor
o 60° right miter
o 50° left miter
·All the miter points are largely marked in red. This ensures the points are easy to read. This will safeguard you in picking the correct miter level without making irrevocable mistakes.
· The key feature that puts the DWS709 on our best miter saw list is the sliding head. This sliding head allows you to cut large pieces of wood. Most other miter saws don’t provide this feature which makes completing projects on this saw very practical.
· The fence is exclusively designed for this model. The fence cuts up to 2×14 dimensional lumber at 90° and 2×10 at 45°.
· This product weighs 51 lbs. The lightweight feature makes it easy for you to move and store.
· Extreme accuracy from the box without any adjustments needed
· Easy set up
· Reliable performance in every use
· It’s quiet when in use
· Dust collector is ineffective
· No laser pointer
· A light is needed to help facilitate cuts
· There are fewer features compared to the previous models
This is a highly powerful miter saw. This model does have fewer features compared to its previous model, but this fact will not prevent you from producing quality work.
5. Makita LS1016L [Best 10 Inch Miter Saw with Laser]
The first time you use this miter saw you don’t need to recalibrate the miter detents. This allows you to begin your project immediately. If you are looking to start fast this is your top option. The startup is smooth and effortless and the machine has a very quiet operation
· Adjustments are made easier with the 2 front bevel scales. This also improves the visibility of the scale, which allows you to select the correct one each time
· The 15-amp and no-load 3,200-rpm speed give the miter cutter the power to cut through the materials you need to build your projects
· This model is equipped with an innovative direct-drive gear box and patented retractable guard system. These features are engineered to provide increased vertical cutting capacity.
· This model has the largest crown cutting in its class. It cuts wooden board that has a thickness of 6 5/8".
· The retractable gear guard allows for 4 3/4’’ base board vertical cutting capacity. At 90° you can cut 12’’.
· The perfectly constructed components—which give the machine the precision and durability—you need include:
o Exclusive 6 linear ball bearings. These deliver smooth, rigid, adjustment free, highly accurate cuts
o The saw has a patented 4 steel rail sliding system. This increases the rigidness to provide ultimate cuts
o The 4 steel rails ensure less deflection
· The angles of the miter and the bevel allow versatility in all cuts. The stops include:
o 0- 52° left miter angle
o 0-60° right miter angle
o 0, 15, 22, 31.6 and 45° left & right miter positive stops
o 0-42° left and right bevel angle
o 22.5, 33.9 and 45° left & right bevel positive stops
· The construction of the machinery guarantees you will always have precision when you’re cutting. There are dual font scales which improve the visibility of the markings. The 1-turn miter lock system provides accurate adjustments and increases the efficiency
· Contributing to the performance of the miter saw is the 60-tooth blade. This blade can handle the toughest jobs
· For your added benefit, a built in laser will indicate where you will cut. This laser will be on whether the blade is on or off. You can make micro adjustments for precise “left of blade” or “right of blade” cutting. There is a see-through blade guard system. This system provides greater visibility and precision
· With a weight of 52.2 lbs., it’s one of the most compact in its class. This product provides great portability. The 4 steel railing sliding system requires 2” less rear space compared to competitors’ dual sliding miter saws
· This Makita miter saw makes use of a seal gear box. The gear box transfers the power to the blade instead of the belt. This guarantees a quiet operation.
Makita LS1016L Miter Saw Pros
· Very sturdy when in use
· Requires very little setup
· Quiet operation
· Powerful and fast
Makita LS1016L Miter Saw Cons
· The owner’s manual is not practical
· The fence extension is not easily adjustable
This Makita miter saw is very powerful, but this power doesn’t equate to a loud operation. It’s very quiet, even reaching the high 3,200 rpm speed. The 10 inch blade classifies this as our top choice for trim and small carpentry projects.
6. DEWALT DWS780 [12 Inch Double Bevel Sliding Miter Saw]
The DWS780 offers an ease of operation unlike any other miter saw. The double bevel sliding head doesn’t require you to move the board to replicate cuts.
The blade guard also makes this miter saw user friendly. In most models, the safe guards pop down and interrupt your view. With the DEWALT DWS780 model the safeguard is see through.
This makes cutting through materials easier as you can see where the blade is aiming. A safeguard is an important feature of any miter saw
The double bevel head provides tremendous versatility for your bevel cuts and the sliding saw head allows you to work with large pieces of wood.
You will know exactly where you’re cutting. This DEWALT machine has a built in LED light. This LED replicates a laser line. You will need not to recalibrate or readjust the blades.
The LED light is in the XPS cross-cut alignment system. It creates a shadow of the miter saw blade onto the work surface. This allows you to see precisely where you’re going to cut.
The rugged guards, castings, fences bevel system and tough stainless steel miter detent plate are constructed to handle any work site conditions.
With the 15-amp and 3,800 rpm motor, you’re given the power to cut through delicate or heavy duty wood. The capacities include:
o 6 3/4’’ vertical capacity
o 7 1/2‘’ nested crown capacity
o 13 7/8’’ horizontal capacity
The powerful amp and the no load operation ensure that you can quickly work through your project without compromising the quality of your cuts.
The back fence design allows you to cut 2×16 at a 90° angle and 2×12 at a 45° angle. A built-in rail lock latch simplifies and maximizes the vertical cutting capacity. The latch holds the head away from the fence.
You can cut with precision because of the bevel scales. There’s a 0-49° bevel angle with positive stops marking at 0, 22.5, 33.9, 45 and 49°. The scale and positive stops are both in the left and right direction.
The saw miters are at 50° and 60 ° left and right respectively. The miter detent plate features 10 positive stops. The positive stops are useful in making repeat cuts.
You can lock the angles between detents with the cam lock miter button. You can also override the angle adjustments without falling into detents.
With a weight of 56 lbs., you can easily move the miter saw around your workshop. There is a handle situated at the top of the machine; this ensures you can easily move the miter saw without encountering the blades.
The power cord makes for easy maneuverability. The cord is routed through the rail at the back which eliminates interference on the sides.
DEWALT DWS780 Miter Saw Pros
· The miter saw makes clean accurate cuts
· The LED light guides you well while you cut
· The dust bag collects most of the debris
· Easy setup and adjustments
DEWALT DWS780 Miter Saw Cons
· Replacement parts are difficult to obtain
· The plastic head becomes loose at times
· There is no quick lock on the clamp
· The blade isn’t sufficient when working on fine details
The various professions who continuously uses miter saws will find this product highly useful. The double sliding compound provides convenience as you don’t need to flip the wood to replicate cuts. The carbide blade is strong.
Buyers Guide: Key Miter Saw Features
Most miter saws are equipped with these features. To optimize your projects, it’s best to purchase a miter saw that contains all the features.
Laser Guide System
Beginners will find this feature very useful because they are able to see where they are going to cut while getting used to the new machine. You’ll make less mistakes.
These are bags that are attached to the miter saw. They are easy to install and uninstall. They are designed and fitted in a unique way that when the miter saw is in use, it collects all the chip particles. At times, dust bags are ineffective and don’t collect all the dust particles.
This resembles a vacuum cleaner. They usually come with a large hood that is placed over the miter saw. When it’s powered it sucks all the chippings created by the miter saw. This option is highly affective and provides a cleaner work area. Festool produces the best dust extractors on the market today.
This feature helps limit the depth in which you will cut. This ensures you don’t make any irreversible errors.
It’s important to look for miter saws that have a sliding fence. This will provide added support for your work piece.
Extension arms are also referred to as wings. Extension arms are used to support long pieces of work. This is practical if you don’t have a table to support your entire project.
Also referred to as angle presets. The angled that are presets are the most common needed for projects. The positive stops save you time as you don’t have to take time setting the next cut.
Positive stops are presented in both miter and bevel angles. Most miter saws have an override detent which allows you to lock the settings.
Digital displays are easier to read compared to etched miter and bevel measurements. With digital displays, you can see the exact measurement including all the decimal points. You can set more precise angles with this type of display.
Miter Saw Blade
It’s important to know the three basic characteristics pertaining to the miter saw blade. These characteristics refer to the teeth, kerf width, hook angle and gullet. These characteristics will determine the accuracy of the cuts.
The teeth of blade ranges from 24 to 100 teeth. The larger the number of teeth the finer the cut. The more teeth your blade has the slower the cut will be
The more powerful the motor, the greater the chance the miter saw will last for a long period of time. A powerful motor ensures quicker cuts. This guarantees there is no stress on the motor when it produces the performance you require.
The common motor sizes for miter saws are between 10-15 amps.
Find the Best Miter Saw Stand
Once you’ve selected and purchased a miter saw, it’s important to find the best stand, consider the workstation you will be working on. The stand on which the saw will be placed ensures you will receive the optimal use you need when working on the project.
Best Mitre Saw: Conclusion
There are various types of miter saws, each catering for the individual needs of the user. Basic miter saws are practical for inexperienced users who want to do small DIY projects around the house.
The first step you need to take is to buy the miter saw suited for you. Use these reviews to help you make your decision.
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Miter Saw Reviews in 2018: Check Out These Top Miter Saws [Sliding,Dual and Single Bevel]
- 1.1 1. Bosch GCM12SD DB Glide [Best Sliding Miter Saw in 2018]
- 1.2 2. Hitachi C10FCE2 [Best Single Bevel Miter Saw for Value]
- 1.3 3. DEWALT DW715 [Best Single Bevel Miter Saw]
- 1.4 4. DEWALT DWS709 [Sliding Miter Saw Review]
- 1.5 5. Makita LS1016L [Best 10 Inch Miter Saw with Laser]
- 1.6 6. DEWALT DWS780 [12 Inch Double Bevel Sliding Miter Saw]
- 1.6.1 DEWALT DWS780 Miter Saw Pros
- 1.6.2 DEWALT DWS780 Miter Saw Cons
- 1.6.3 DWS780: Conclusion
- 1.6.4 Buyers Guide: Key Miter Saw Features
- 1.6.5 Find the Best Miter Saw Stand
- 1.7 Best Mitre Saw: Conclusion